4/18/2007

You Lie And They Lie Back, You Tell The Truth...They Don't Believe You

I am self-centered
I am a liar
I am a braggart
I am a cheater
I am a bad son
I am a lazy person
I am what you hate
I am in denial
I take liberties with people
I have a large inflated ego
I have too much to say about my own accomplshments
I am afraid of what you think about me
I am afraid I am not good enough for you
I lie about my past to seem cooler
I really don't care
I am living for myself
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am trying to change
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am loyal
I am thoughtful
I am generous
I am hard-working
I am driven
I am charismatic
I am a good leader
I am trustworthy
I am philosophical
I am reliable
I am solid
I am dependable
I am responsible
I am afraid to ruin your good opinion of me
I will push myself to the limit to succeed

Take your pick. We all have these two sides. Good/Bad. We all have them and we pick and we choose from both sides. I know my faults. My faults can also be my strengths. My faults have kept me from hurt and heartache and having to feel inadequate. I am inadequate. I am ready to admit my mistakes, but I am also willing to admit my successes. I will not crumble. I will not break. Your opinion of me does matter and I would like to make it a positive one. Those of you who like me, what am I? Those of you who don't, what am I? Challenge: Tell me something that I don't know about myself.

This my friends is perception. And perception is all we have in the world. So when you look at me what do you choose to see? List A, or List B? Could you forgive the A? Could you live without the B? Could you take a look at all of me and forgive me for my faults and let me help you with my strengths? Because if you want a relationship. A real relationship. You have got to take those faults and find in them the weakness that could be strength. You have to fill in the gaps that your loved one cannot fill themselves. This is why we have friends. This is why we have family. This is why we have significant others. We are looking to find the people who will take our weaknesses and turn them into strengths. So I say, don't take the person who is insecure and ostracize them. Instead why don't you try for even a moment to make them feel secure. If you succeed. You won't even need to see the faults because they will never be shown to you. Make them feel secure and you will have found someone to die for you, someone to come talk to you at 4 am when you've had a hard day. Give people a reason to be your friend. If I am an asshole in your books, you do not make me feel secure. If I am your loyal compatriate who you admire, you have filled in the gaps inside me. So thank you those who are even now filling in the gaps. My insecurity is fading and list A is growing shorter. If you haven't noticed by now, maybe you're listening to the wrong people.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

We do have two sides, everybody! Good and Bad. We can't be good all the time, and we can't live for other people. We are only human. Nice post bro!

Let Go said...

I can definitely see some of your A traits, but of course your B traits are also evident. Like Devin said, no one can only have one column.
I totally understand where a lot of your A traits come from, because I see some of those in myself and I know they only come from the fact that I'm also always worried about what people think of me.
There are some things that you do that I don't like, but you know that overall I love you and I think you're awesome!
But the fact that you are recognizing what you could work on, and are attempting to do so shows a lot of strength; definitely something to put in the B column!
Anyway, take care, and I miss you guys! Let's hang out soon!

Anonymous said...

get over it already. she's moved on, you'd be smart to do the same.

Urban said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

urban, my comment isn't an attack. i'm not trying to be all high and mighty. There is another side to this story that you don't know. yes it's good that jordan is trying to change for the better, but to do that he has to let go first and move on.

Anonymous said...

hey Anonymous,
why do you leave your name?


but you're right...there are two sides...and you only know one as well

Urban said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martha said...

Ok enough of this.

Jordan has a right to write whatever he chooses in his blog. ITS HIS THOUGHTS. They're his feelings. Let him have them.

If he wants to think I build him up to be a monster than thats what he can think.

And in turn, I too can have my feelings and thoughts on things, they're my opinions. Just because I voice them doesnt mean they are attacks.

So just let him vent, let him write whatever without jumping on him.

I just ask the same thing from you Jordan.

Akiyhrah said...

M, anonimity is sometimes crutial to avoiding tension later on. Everyone says they can handle the truth from their friends, but it is rarely a fact. No matter how much you believe you won't be hurt, it still is painful to hear what your friends think is wrong with you. And for all you know, anonymous most likely knows both sides of the story, and is probably friends with both of them, and is remaining anonymous to avoid looking like they are taking sides.

Joe Guitar said...

There's no sides to this. I still think Martha is a great person who anybody would be lucky to have around them. I promised that this blog would be honest about how I'm thinking at any given time. Ten minutes from now I may think differently. After listening to what Martha has to say on the subject I can definitely see her point of view, I may dissagree with her on some points because that's my point of view. But to take any of this at anymore than the thoughts of somebody who is still confused and trying to figure things out is just frankly lame. I have no problem with you telling me what you think of me. I know there are people out there right now who are looking at me in a bad light. And there are those who are really getting that this was a big deal relationship for both of us and moving past it isn't easy to deal with. I'm just going to write what I think and you can take it how you feel.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous people just bother me....it makes people asume who it might be and then things get worse...

anyways...GO CANUCKS!

VivaLaPinto said...

I find in myself almost every trait in column A, as well, so I know where you're coming from, hun. It's good that you are willing to state those things upfront about yourself. While I know I am guilty of a lot of your column A traits, I probably wouldn't have had the courage to say it like you did. kudos!

And Anon, I found nothing in this post to be even a little bit Martha-related. I don't think that this time, your comment was necessary, called for, or even applicable.

On a lighter note, tulips make me smile!

Anonymous said...

Have I ever told you something you didn't know about yourself?

You've always known all of it. You've always believed you have two sides, and you do. It's the insecurities you face and how you choose to handle them that dictate which list you claim for yourself.

You are strong enough, kind enough, empathetic enough to give without needing to recieve in full or at all. There is enough good in you to do all of list B in more.

Like Johnny says
TRY!

Jenny said...

Wow :D thats a very thought provoking article! I'm impressed :)

you've always been one of my favourite cousins :) i take both list a and b in that. YOu are what you are

In the words of Todd Bertuzzi

"it is what it is"